Digest: Why Do People Push You Away When You Learn Too Much Of Their Life?

Have you noticed this interesting phenomenon?

Boy & Girl meet each other for the first time.

The boy is very well behaved & the girl is very sweet and caring.
The boy dresses up amazingly well while the girls incredibly attractive.

The boy goes out of his way to keep her happy and the girl does whatever she can to show she cares.

The boy cannot stop making love to the girl while the girl cannot stop expressing her love for him.

Fast forward 1 year into the relationship.

Everything is the opposite.

Why is it this way?
Why did the interest vanish?
Why the boredom?
Why was it before - so in love and now so out of love?

Do you know why?

There is a very powerful & apt saying which goes like this “Familiarity Breeds Contempt”. In fact, there is also another equally popular quote that is very well accepted in my circle of friend and that is “Never meet your idol. You will generally end up disappointed.”

The reason for the popularity of both these quotes is because people have a tendency to take others for granted.

For instance, when people get in touch with me for the first time, they tend to have certain expectations like: I am very understanding or very mature. I will be very gracious or kind with my time and advice. I will help them for free. Because parts of their life are similar to mine (Being Indian or tried to suicide or had a tough childhood), I would go out of my way to help them. Some of them even have expectations that because I am a mangalorean or ex-catholic or Atheist or since they have tattoos just like me, I will go out of my way to help them.

And when these expectations are smashed or not met - well, they end up hating me, bad mouthing me or talking crap about me. This is the reality of life. Which is why your question “why do people push you away when you learn too much of their life” become apt.

People have a tendency of showing their true colors & intentions when they get to know you on a personal and deeper level. And that is where all problems arise.




Loy Machedo (Quora).

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.