French Open: Simona Halep Defeats Sloane Stephens To Win Maiden Grand Slam

Simona Halep celebrates her French Open victory

Simona Halep sealed her maiden Grand Slam title with a relentless performance to beat Sloane Stephens and win the French Open.

The 26-year-old had lost her three previous major showpiece encounters – including twice at Roland Garros – but recovered from a set and a break down to win 3-6 6-4 6-1 in two hours and three minutes.

Halep, who came into the final with back-to-back victories against two-time Grand Slam champions Angelique Kerber and Garbine Muguruza, stopped Stephens securing a second major triumph after an absorbing contest.

“I was dreaming for this moment since I’ve started to play tennis.

“When I was down a break in the second set I thought ‘Everything is gone, I’m gonna start to relax and enjoy the match,’ and I came back,” Halep said.





Disclaimer: Stories culled and pictures posted on this blog will be given due credit and is not the fault of drifternews.blogspot.com if website culled from misrepresents source of story.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.